Monday, January 16, 2012

Nutrition - THE SMOOTHIE

I want to first say I love the e-mails I have received from doing this blog.  it started a long time ago to trace the path my fitness has taken from the days where i was trying to run LONG distances...fortunately I found CrossFit to put that to a halt because this is a much better direction for me.  It then came to be a place for me to put down my work instead of writing it on paper and stashing it away.  i never dreamed people would actually look at it and for that it has come along way.  I am inspired by what I hear and see everyday in the CrossFit community.  not for the Records being broken or the best getting better but those who are beginning on a journey with no end.  one that can change directions in an instant.  It is amazing to watch growth and change especially when it is in people and they are only getting better.  I will continue doing what I love and working as hard as I can to see how far I can go in what ever direction that may be. 

On that note I had received a lot of requests on nutrition and have been lazy and not posted anything.  So I am going to make an oath to post some nutrition stuff.  It will start out small and random when i can think to do it.  I am going to start with mornings.  I am a person of habit, as most of us are, and I do the same thing most every day:

Start with a smoothie and have for many years now, and I love and eat a lot of fruit.

Morning Smoothie
-1 cup Strawberries or blueberries, (normally it is either blueberries or strawberries. Recently it has been strawberries but I am switching back to Blueberries)

-1 Banana (I only recently started putting bananas back in my smoothies)
-2 Hand fulls of spinich (BIG HANDFULS....you can't taste it with the fruit).   I buy this from Sam's Club.  It is organic and only $2.99....awesome price and there is a ton of it. 
-Couple ounces Chocolate almond Milk.

-Coconut Milk - As much as needed to blend.
-Ooccasionally I will use water if I have no coconut milk
-Apple Cider Vinegar 1-2 ounces.
-Flax Meal (I just dump in as much as I think is needed)
-Progenex Recovery (as of the past couple months I put 1-2 scoops in)  this is really the only time i supplement unless it is a competition) 
 
Then I make a cup of coffee as this is blending and the smoothie makes about 40 ounces.  I drink about 20 ounces and then save the rest for after a morning WOD or as a snack part of the way through work.  I used to down it all right away, but now I cannot take that much in.
 
Then I make 4 eggs to take to work and I eat them about 30 Min -1 hour after I get there....next... more coffee.  I have at least 2 pretty big cups of coffee a day...... up to 4 cups of coffee a day (can be 20-24 ounces).  I drink nothing but water and coffee but I make sure I get in a lot of water between cups.  AND ONLY DRINK IT BLACK!  That is pretty much every morning unless my wife cooks me an awesome breakfast or we are not at home.
 
NU

4 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this man. Especially the part where you mention growth and change. My goal is to get better every day and compete against the best like you one day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the shake today for lunch. I was not sure how it would come out. I ended up really enjoying it and look forward to making them in the future. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly make the exact same smoothie and drink multiple cups of coffee too. My mixture consists of frozen strawberries, kale, coconut milk, a banana, and SFH pure protien- It's delicious! Out of curiosity, what is the apple cider vinegar used for? Nutritional value or taste?

    Also, since you're a coffee lover and you shop at Sam's Club, I highly suggest trying Jose's Vanilla Nut brand. It's in a yellow bag, and by far the best beans I've ever come across! Best of luck to you. And a big thank you for taking the time to write these posts, and for doing You Challenge.

    ReplyDelete